Total Pageviews

Friday 17 February 2012

It's a bird's life!!

I had mentioned that I was working on some birdhouses.  I have to give myself a slap because I keep forgetting to take "before" photos so I don't really have anything to show as to how they looked in their original state.  The "houses" are just cheap Dollar Store items which I picked up for a lark for something to paint and then realized that they needed to be lifted up, so along came the idea to paint a set of candlesticks to look "shabby chic" and stick them on top!!  Anyway, you'll get the idea just by seeing them........................




I finished them off with a couple of inexpensive birds, lace and leaves and now they sit (for a while) in my living room until I decide what to do with them.

Okay, stop the press!!  I walked to the mall this afternoon just to take a photo of the birdhouses in their raw state.  They were kind enough in the Dollar Store to let me do that, so here they are.........................


Now they look like this..............................








I also picked up a few more little birds from The Queen's Cupboard because she was closing her doors at the present location and moving to where The Potter's Guild is housed and there she will periodically have sales.  Thanks Pat for all the fun I have had shopping at your emporium.



Here is one of my handcrafted jewelry pieces.  I thought I would feature one here and there in my blogs.  I sell them at the craft shows when I have the opportunity.............



I recently found (on Facebook) a newspaper article from Wales which focused on the area where I lived when I was growing up. This photograph brought back so many memories of when I was a child.  The area is Roath Park Lake, in Cardiff.  I used to force my younger brother to go on picnics and my dear mother would pack us a little "lunch" and thank the good Lord that she would have some quiet time to herself, only to find us returning about half an hour later, lunch eaten looking for something else to entertain us, LOL.  It really was, and I'm sure still is, a most beautiful place and that area used to be considered the swanky part of Cardiff and I would walk through there to the Catholic girls' school, no school buses back then.  Take a look, it's beautiful...................


Another photo of my birdies - seems like I have a new obsession doesn't it?  Mind you, I have always enjoyed birds and when I lived in my house I actually had bluejays trained to take peanuts in the shell from my hand and my shoes.  Yea, I know, I'm kinda loony - but remember, I worked at the Library and you had to be a little odd to work there, LOL


This is going to be my next project, so stay tuned......................


Here's a picture of my darling grandson receiving his very first Valentine's Day card.  Oh, I could just eat him all up, I love him  so much and miss him every day.  Can't wait 'til my next visit, probably in April when the new baby arrives.................



To finish off, here are a couple more of my son's artwork.  Every time he paints a new one, I print it out and frame it.  Help, I need more wall space, LOL



Perhaps now you will understand why I enjoy painting and embellishing Dollar Store frames - I'm so proud of my boy!!