Total Pageviews

Thursday 9 February 2012

"Horsey, Horsey, don't you stop"

Here I am again, and I bet you are all wondering "What is she up to now", LOL  As if you have nothing better to do.  Anyway, another trip to "The Queen's Cupboard" produced a little old, lonely, blue, wooden horse.  Someone many years ago had probably lovingly made this for their child or grandchild only to be tossed to the back of a pile of forgotten linens.  Then, Chris came along and her eyes lit up and she said to herself, "I bet that would look really cute painted cream".  So here it is in its before state.........................




And this is the little darling in "mid" state, almost finished the painting, one more coat I think and it will be ready to beautify..............


I'm actually getting excited thinking about my plans for this baby.  What would we do without the Dollar Store? God help me when Michaels opens up here.

On Tuesday evening, Helena, Janis and I went to the movies to see "The woman in black".  I was expecting it to be a scarey one but it was only mediocre.  I wouldn't recommend this one but then there is no accounting for personal taste.


"The Woman in Black"


Arthur Kipps (Daniel Radcliffe), a widowed lawyer whose grief has put his career in jeopardy, is sent to a remote village to sort out the affairs of a recently deceased eccentric. But upon his arrival, it soon becomes clear that everyone in the town is keeping a deadly secret. Although the townspeople try to keep Kipps from learning their tragic history, he soon discovers that the house belonging to his client is haunted by the ghost of a woman who is determined to find someone and something she lost...and no one, not even the children, are safe from her vengeance.


I've been working on some small, wooden birdhouses, painting them and decided that they would look great if they could stand on something.  It really was Laurie's idea (my buddy from down the hall) and we were trying to come up with ideas on what to use.  I finally decided to "shabby chic" a set of candlesticks and have the birdhouses perch on top of them.  I haven't quite finished the project but here are the candlesticks, before and after......................




I'm still experimenting with different finishes for the birdhouses and will post them when I finally come up with the end result.

Two more paintings went up on the walls, one by my son and the other by Laurie ( http://laurie-whentheboughbreaks.blogspot.com/ ). I can't seem to get enough of all this talent and beauty, but then who can blame me?....................



The little old lady that Laurie and I have been visiting is back in her apartment but I can't see her staying there for much longer. She is very frail and seems to have changed quite a bit since we were visiting her before she went into hospital.  She is very reluctant to accept professional help and the thought of moving into a retirement/nursing home is scaring the wits out of her but we try and tell her that she will be well cared for.  Everyone is so worried about her.  Laurie and I don't mind visiting and even making her some tea or a sandwich but she is at the "stage" where she is non-appreciative and treats us more like staff than friends, especially Laurie who has a heart as big as the moon.  I hope I don't get like this (I know, some of you are thinking that I'm already there, LOL).  Perhaps by the next time I blog she will have been placed in a nice comfortable room where she will be well cared for, I sure hope so.

I bought some birchbark stars from "The Queen's Cupboard" - aren't they cute?...................



Cute bird made out of some kind of metal and made to look "shabby chic" from the Dollar Store.  Couldn't resist it.................


Well, that's about it for now.  Going to finish up with a couple of pictures of darling grandson, the good one and the naughty one. Which one do you prefer?.......................

 
Getting a haircut

 
Trying them on for size??  Maybe he's just helping mummy sort the laundry, LOL

Have a great weekend and I'll talk to you again soon.