Total Pageviews

Saturday 12 November 2011

I'm "Chairing" this post!!

I've been looking forward so much to sharing my first refinishing job of a chair, especially in re-upholstering one.  It was such a challenge for me, especially with the painful arthritic fingers of mine, but I did it, and I am so proud of the outcome, may not be perfect, but it's good enough for me.  I will try and show you step-by-step what I did.

This is how it all began.  I bought this old chair from "The Queen's Cupboard" and knew immediately what I wanted to do with it.


Notice the beautiful detail carved into the wood?  I was sorry in one way to cover it up with paint but, hey, this is what I bought it for.


Same here, beautiful detail.  Is that straw, or horsehair, not too sure?


Look at the beautiful spindles - yes, I was feeling more guilty as I went along, but, I wanted to change it.

This is where I made my first attempt at covering up the seat - didn't have a clue how to do it and couldn't find anyone to give me advice, so I went ahead and took care of it, top and bottom.......



Next it got a paint job, cream of course, since I have been on this cream kick, I love it.................


This is the cushion I used as padding for the seat.  I found it at our local Value Village.  I had searched all over Kitchener with the help of my darling daughter-in-law whilst I was there recently visiting her, my son and my gorgeous grandson Rhys, and didn't find one, but when I saw this one I knew that it was "the one"................


I sewed (by hand, I don't own a sewing machine) a circular cushion cover from a square cover I bought at Fabricland and then tacked the whole cushion to the newly painted chair with decorative nails.  It looked rather neat, but I wasn't sure if that was the look I was going for so I decided to trim it with cream lace.  I painstakingly sewed the lace around the seat (took about 4 hours using a large needle and a pair of pliers to pull the needle through, whew), but when finished, I was in heaven.  It was the look I had been aiming for, see for yourselves...................



If I get fed up with the lacey look I can just snip the stitches and gently remove the lace.  I'm so in love with this chair.

Before I leave for the night, I should show you what I also found at Value Village that day.  I don't think I have shared this before, if I have, then forgive me as I've got "the old age" as my darling son Dave calls it..................


It looks just like the real thing, but I doubt that it is, just a very, very good reproduction.  It looks really good in the spare green bedroom.  Have a blessed Sunday and a fabulous week.