Total Pageviews

Sunday 7 August 2011

Home, Sweet Home, and the 'Hood'

Today I had to stop and remind myself just how fortunate I am to live in such a picturesque community.  We all take our immediate surroundings for granted, not saying that we don't appreciate them, just that we see them so often that we kind of ignore them.  Well, I took my camera out with me and snapped a few of the local places of interest beginning with my very own home.  My apartment building is right downtown, close to everything I need and, as I am not the owner of a vehicle and have to rely on my own two very attractive gams to get me where I need to go, I consider myself blessed in that I can walk to practically any place I need to go for shopping, visiting and even just for a leisurely stroll along the Boardwalk which fronts the lovely St. Mary's River.  Here's a picture of my building.........


Just a little further down the road we have some very interesting tourist sites, the first what we call "The Old Stone House".  The Ermatinger Old Stone House, is restored to depict the domestic and professional life of Charles Oakes Ermatinger and other prominent residents and visitors of the House between 1808 and 1870 reflecting the nationally recognized historic aspects of the House.

It's open most of the year to tourists and hosts a variety of very interesting events - you can always "Google" it to find out more if you are interested.  The building next to it is the Clergue Blockhouse, which was relocated to the Site in 1996, and was the home of Francis Hector Clergue from 1894 - 1908.
 

And, right across the road from these beautiful buildings is the Bush Plane Museum.  The Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre (CBHC) was formed in 1987 by a small group of volunteers wishing to preserve Ontario's rich bushplane and firefighting heritage.   At that time, the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources agreed to allow the group to use a portion of the Fire and Aviation Division (formerly the Ontario Provincial Air Service) hangar at the edge of the St Mary's River in Sault Ste. Marie for displays and storage.  It is open to the public and is a very interesting place to visit.


I'll go ahead and post this but I still have quite a few photos to share from my walk yesterday and will add them later, don't want to overload (or bore) you with too many details, LOL  I'm off for another walk, as long as the rain stays away - it was "belting down" earlier this morning, so I stayed in bed for a change.  It promises to be a pleasant day, hopefully not too hot, I hate that, so I will walk and think of a couple of dear friends who are in need of prayers and who are heavy on my heart.  Talk to you again soon.  Have a wonderful day.